Friday 2 October 2020

Shetland - 2nd October

In a Force 6-7 south-east wind I opted to start the day on the west coast of mainland Shetland hoping to find some shelter. In a light rain under heavy grey skies I birded Geosetter, there were good numbers of Redwing and Song Thrush, a couple of Goldcrest and a Blackcap but little else and there was little shelter. My eBird list for the site can be viewed here.

At around 09:00 I received a message to say that the Pallas’s Grasshopper Warbler found yesterday afternoon at Burrafirth at the far end of Unst was still present and showing well occasionally. I have only seen two Pallas’s Grasshopper Warbler previously in Malaysia and Thailand and so this would be British tick. I plugged in the directions to the sat nav and off I set.

Having traversed much of mainland Shetland, all of Yell and much of Unst I was pleased to finally arrive at Burrafirth some 2.5 hours later but it was not long before the Pallas’s Grasshopper Warbler was seen, first in flight and then over the next two hours or so very well perched in vegetation and on the tops of walls and fences. It was a cracking little bird and great to see so well. Also here were a couple of Yellow-browed Warbler and a Little Bunting. Having had my fill I decided to make my way back south.

My eBird checklist for the site can be viewed here.

Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler - Burrafirth, Unst, Shetland

Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler - Burrafirth, Unst, Shetland

Little Bunting - Burrafirth, Unst, Shetland

Little Bunting - Burrafirth, Unst, Shetland

At the Unst to mainland ferry I got chatting to Mark House who was just heading for a Lanceolated Warbler that was showing well on Sumburgh Head. I knew of this bird but hadn’t considered driving there this evening but having spoken to Mark realised that it was doable and that a 18:00 arrival at Sumburgh was possible. As I drove south, following Mark through rain and fog and failiyng light, it was not until a message pinged that said the bird was showing well that I decided to commit. Following Mark, we arrived at Sumburgh head at 17:50 in brilliant evening sunshine and quickly located the Lanceolated Warbler. The bird was showing amazingly feeding along the foot of a wall in the open and occasionally skulking through the dense Red Fescue matts and on a couple of occasions perching on top of the stone wall. It was a fabulous little bird reminiscent of a Pipit with those chunky legs and streaky plumage and a mouse in the way it walked through the grass and scuttled along the wall. A real highlight.

As we left, Goldcrest's, Robin's and two Redstart appeared to be arriving from the skies, what will tomorrow bring. My eBird checklist for the site can be viewed here.

Lanceolated Warbler - Sumburgh Head, Shetland

Lanceolated Warbler - Sumburgh Head, Shetland