Sunday 11 October 2020

Pennington Marsh - 6th October

On a mainly sunny morning I walked a loop from the car park at Lower Pennington Lane west to Keyhaven and then back east along the seawall. I spent a great deal of time along the Ancient Highway looking for migrants in the bushes seeing a few Chiffchaff but little else. At the plantation at the west end of the Ancient Highway I started to 'pish' and a few Chiffchaff appeared and then a fast moving dart of a bird and a Yellow-browed Warbler appeared in an Oak in front of me, the first I have found in Hampshire. I shall never tire of seeing these fantastic little long distant migrants.

Along the seawall, it was evident that there has been a large influx of Wildfowl since my last visit with large numbers of Wigeon, Pintail, Teal and Shoveler present. At Butts Lagoon four Bearded Tit appeared high from the east and dropped into the reedbeds and at Fishtail Lagoon a Spotted Redshank flew north calling. It had been a very enjoyable morning at Pennington but very subdued compared to the recent excitement of Shetland.

My eBird list for the morning can be viewed here.

Yellow-browed Warbler - Ancient Highway, Pennington Marsh

Yellow-browed Warbler - Ancient Highway, Pennington Marsh