Monday 31 January 2022

Eastbourne - 27th January

Today I visited Chatsworth Cross on Madeira Walk on the seafront at Eastbourne for a Hume's Warbler that has been present since 14th January. Hume's Warbler is British tick for me despite there having been 170 records of the species in Britain to the end of 2019 with a further three records in Ireland to the end of 2018. The bird showed almost immediately on my arrival foraging in Holm Oak just off the pathway. During my time on site it spent most of time foraging very actively in Holm Oak. It would give frequent bursts of rapid calling but would go quiet for 5-10 minutes at a time and would then be very difficult to track. I managed to obtain a few sound recordings but only poor photographs in the lowlight and breezy conditions.

My eBird checklist and sound recordings can be viewed here.