Monday 5 February 2018

Blashford Lake - 5th February

After finishing a bird survey just outside of Totton I decided to head for Blashford Lakes to try for a Thayer's Gull that has been coming to roost on Ibsley Water after being found on 28th January. I was in the Tern Hide by 14:00 and managed to secure a seat before the masses arrived. Over the 2.5 hours I was there the trickle of gulls coming into the roost increased to a constant flow which continued even as I departed. In my time there I saw an adult Ring-billed Gull, at least four adult Yellow-legged Gull, at least five Mediterranean Gull, 1st winter Iceland Gull,  25 Goosander, Black-necked Grebe and a single Bewick's Swan. The highlight was a 1st year Caspian Gull, a British tick for me. But there was no sign of the Thayer's and I had to leave at 16:30, of course, come 17:00 the bird appeared in the roost by which time I was home.

Adult Ring-billed Gull with Lesser Black-backed Gull, Black-headed Gull and Common Gull - Blashford Lakes

1st winter Caspian Gull - Blashford Lake