Tuesday 4 March 2014

A Trip to the 'Lovely' Walpole Lake - 4th March 2014

I had a winter bird survey to carry out today near to Stubbington so I could not resist a short diversion to see the Ring-billed Gull that has wintered at Walpole Lake, Gosport since November 2003. Why it chose Walpole Lake I will never know! The bird showed well amongst the assembled gulls (Black-headed, Herring and Common Gull), Mute Swans and Feral Pigeons loitering waiting to be tossed bread. Having last seen this bird in 2009 I have to say I felt that the bird is looking a little aged why this was I cannot quite put my finger on but there was a certain crusty look to the bird. In 2003 this bird was found as an adult making it at least 15 years old. A quick Google search indicates that they can live up to 23 years but that three to 10 years is a typical lifespan. How many more years will this bird return?

Ring-billed Gull - Simon Colenutt
Adult Ring-billed Gull (Simon Colenutt)

Ring-billed Gull - Simon Colenutt
Adult Ring-billed Gull (Simon Colenutt)

Common Gull - Simon Colenutt
Adult Common Gull (Simon Colenutt). 

Note this birds daintier bill lacking the defined ring, dark eye, large white mirrors in the wing-tip and darker upper parts which help to distinguish it from Ring Billed Gull.

Herring Gull - Simon Colenutt
First winter Herring Gull (Simon Colenutt)